IT Resume for 2019
Here’s a sample resume example of an IT resume, software development resume, or technical resume sample. This sample resume example is provided courtesy of Quest Outplacement, an outplacement company that provides outplacement services to jobseekers located throughout the world.
IT resume examples are reprinted with Quest’s permission.
As you develop your IT resume, be sure it includes keywords relevant to the type of position you are targeting. To develop a keyword list, review two or three job postings for positions that interest you. Identify keywords that appear in these job postings to develop your keyword list.
Most employers use software applications that allow them to automatically search for resumes using a keyword matching feature. To help you do well with these automated initial screening tools used by most employers, incorporate your keyword list into your IT resume bullets.
Somewhere, Some State 12345
H: 123-456-7890 W; 234-567-8910
To obtain an IT position that utilizes my experience as an IT Manager having responsibility for all aspects of IT including managing staff and departmental budgets.
IT Manager with over 15 years of IT experience including experience in the areas of LAN and WAN, training and support, telephony, and e-mail and security. Skilled in designing infrastructure and implementing technology to support large user groups, supporting users at corporate headquarters as well as multiple remote locations, and effectively managing $1 million IT budgets as well as IT staff. Proven ability to translate business needs into technology requirements that support the company’s business objectives and to successfully manage all phases of IT projects from needs analysis and requirements definition to vendor selection, implementation, and training.
IT Manager, Some Company, Somewhere, Some State, 1/98 – Present.
- Reporting to the VP of Finance, responsible for all computer and telephony systems for this $30 million widget company at corporate headquarters as well as at 5 remote locations.
- Assume overall financial accountability for the IT department including developing and managing an annual IT budget of $1 million.
- Oversee a staff of 3 consisting of a help desk analyst, an operations analyst, and a network administrator in supporting 240 employees across 6 locations in State 1 and State 2.
- Successfully implemented multiple IT projects ranging from $40K to $100K, provide the technology knowledge and vision to support the company’s business objectives, and evaluate and recommend all software for business processes.
LAN and WAN
- Specified and upgraded all computer equipment from desktop to back-end servers for all locations.
- Designed and implemented a WAN infrastructure using T1’s and Cisco equipment integrating legacy SCO/Unix systems with the new infrastructure.
- Integrated NT servers into the network.
- Implemented a VPN solution via the Internet to enable a secure connection between a remote location and corporate headquarters.
Involved in day-to-day operation of Novell (4.X/5.X) network in addition to effort to migrate to an all IP network.
Training and Support
- Implemented computer-based training for Microsoft Office products utilizing Skillvantage by NetG eliminating the need to send users to outside training and providing a means of easily tracking employee progress to the established training requirements.
- Formed and staffed a centralized help desk for coordination of support services throughout the organization to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of support services.
- Created and manage standard desktop images for employees based on job function reducing the time required to install appropriate software on a new PC by copying the appropriate image to a new computer’s hard drive instead of loading individual software applications.
- Reduced customer service man hours by analyzing the types of customer calls, developing a flowchart of the customer call process, evaluating and selecting an Integrated Voice Response (IVR) system to place in the contact path to customer service, and developing a database file of all customers that included customer account number, balance, next delivery, and last posted payment that was refreshed nightly and updated in the IVR system.
- Successfully implemented the project resulting in a 10-month ROI with a customer usage rate of 7%, significantly above the vendor expected usage rate of 2%, a rate equivalent to having an additional 2 customer service reps on staff.
- Based on the initial success of the project, enhanced the IVR system further to include accepting credit card payments and adding a complete Spanish language script.
- Upgraded an automatic call distribution system, implemented call accounting software to track who placed a call and where the call was placed, and manage a Fujitsu 9600 PBX phone system.
E-Mail and Security
- Designed and implemented an STMP-based mail server and standardized the entire company on Outlook Express including creating an e-mail domain and managing users.
- Migrated to Internet standard messaging and installed T1 connectivity to the Internet.
Selected and implemented content scanning software, Content Technologies’ Mailsweeper, to protect company assets and minimize exposure.
Supervisor of LAN Applications, ABC Company, Anywhere, Any State, 12/90 – 12/97.
- Reporting to the Manager of Computer Operations, managed a staff of 2 in supporting both corporate headquarters and a 24/7 XYZ operation.
- Designed and implemented a help desk to serve the needs of 600 employees.
- Handled second-level support of LAN and WAN issues for the company.
- Performed daily Novell administrative tasks including adding and deleting users, setting up shared areas, controlling data access, and managing print queues.
Trained users and administered e-mail for the entire company.
- Established and maintained productivity training of end users and supported all shrink-wrapped software applications including Paradox, GroupWise, WordPerfect, and Lotus 123.
Information System Manager, The AAA Company, Anywhere, Any State, 11/85 – 11/90.
- Reporting to the Controller, oversaw all aspects of IT for this financial services office.
- Managed the migration from an IBM System 34 to a PC-based Novell LAN.
- Installed and supported LAN’s in New York and Chicago training and supporting users in the new environment.
Operating Systems: Windows, NT, 2000, and Novell 4.X, 5.X; familiarity with Linux, Unix, and Apple
Applications: Microsoft Office Suite (97, 2000) – Excel, Word, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint
Hardware: Compaq servers, IBM servers, HP servers, Gateway servers, building custom PC’s, Netscreen firewall, Cisco routers, hubs, switches, voicemail, phone switches
President of 123
123 is a 400-member computer networking user group focusing on Novell and Microsoft NT as well as learning about the latest technology.
BA in Financial Computer Systems, 75% complete
Copyright © 2003 Quest Career Services, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this IT resume sample is prohibited without the consent of Quest Career Services , an outplacement company that provides outplacement services to jobseekers located throughout the world.