Software Development Resume for 2019
Here’s a sample resume example of a software development resume or technical resume sample. This sample resume example is provided courtesy of Quest Career Services, an outplacement company that provides outplacement services to jobseekers located throughout the world.
Software development resumes are reprinted with Quest’s permission.
As you develop your software development resume, be sure it includes keywords relevant to the type of position you are targeting. To develop a keyword list, review two or three job postings for positions that interest you. Identify keywords that appear in these job postings to develop your keyword list.
Most employers use software applications that allow them to automatically search for resumes using a keyword matching feature. To help you do well with these automated initial screening tools used by most employers, incorporate your keyword list into your software development resume bullets.
Software Development Resume:
1234 Apple Lane · Any City, Any State 12345
Home: 123-456-7890 · Cell: 234-567-8799 · E-Mail: email@example.com
To obtain a senior project manager position that utilizes my experience leading software development teams on software projects from conception through implementation and maintenance.
Experienced software development project manager skilled in gathering and documenting requirements, developing project plans, managing and tracking project execution, designing prototypes and assisting with usability testing, developing and executing test scenarios, complying with regulatory requirements including the FDA and CE Marking, releasing products to production, and maintaining product releases. Proven ability to draw upon experience gained in the medical device industry to utilize formal software development methodologies and best practices. Experience serving as a client’s main point of contact regarding needs definition, project status and issue resolution. Skilled in communicating with internal departments and senior management, assisting sales with site visits and product demonstrations, and managing customer expectations. Possess a track record of success in generating revenue, meeting project milestones, and developing long-term relationships with clients.
ABC, Inc., Any City, Any State, 5/01 – Present.
Provider of Internet-based solutions utilized by mortgage companies, mortgage insurance companies, and credit unions for streamlining loan origination and fulfillment.
Project Manager, 12/03 – Present.
- Reporting to the Vice President of Solutions, responsible for leading software development teams on customer projects as well as internally driven maintenance projects for all ABC’s core products.
- Serve as the project manager and main customer liaison for 123, one of the company’s largest customers, for all development projects.
- Meet with customers to determine their needs, gather and document requirements, communicate with customers throughout the development project to manage customer expectations, resolve issues, and provide project status.
- Develop project plans, track project execution, manage changes, develop and execute implementation plans.
- Coordinate with other internal departments including Quality Assurance, Product Operations, and Production Support.
- Present to senior executives within ABC, provide sales support by traveling to client sites, and conduct online product demonstrations for current and prospective customers.
- Promoted to project manager role after informally serving as the main point of contact for 123, an important account with a history of problems.
- Lead development team projected to generate $800K in 2004 client revenue.
- Earned all performance bonuses ABC was eligible for on a key customer project by managing the development team to ensure product uptime and problem resolution targets were met.
- Developed and executed production launch plan for customer initiative, met customer’s acceptance criteria which resulted in a customer milestone payment of $325K, and brought the product into a production environment.
- Managed software development project, a project to add a new product feature, from conception through product launch, resulting in $76,000 in initial revenue as well as an ongoing transaction-based revenue stream.
Program Manager, 6/02 – 12/03.
- Responsible for gathering business requirements, writing technical specifications, scoping releases, managing development and release cycles, and coordinating releases with other departments such as Marketing and Quality Assurance.
- Wrote project status reports, developed project plans, led product demonstrations, and presented design proposals both internally and to customers.
- Scoped and delivered several releases of the Key Product, a consumer-facing online mortgage application web site with additional functionality for loan officers, including the pilot customer release.
- Managed a product release with an extremely short timeline, delivering it to Quality Assurance ahead of schedule.
- Initiated an incident triage process for prescreening incidents that was adopted as a departmental practice, resulting in improved incident resolution times.
- Served as the sole program manager who worked directly with an external customer.
XYZ, Inc., Any City, Any State, 10/99 – 5/01.
International manufacturer and marketer of identification solutions.
Contract Systems Engineer
- Brought on board to define the feature set for an industrial printing system to meet marketing requirements in two primary markets, schools and manufacturing businesses requiring industrial safety signs.
- Developed and managed software requirements, conducted site visits, produced prototype designs, developed and executed test scenarios, and launched product to market.
- Involved with usability testing including serving as the main point of contact for an external usability consultant, identifying aspects of the design to be tested, reviewing the proposed scripts, and accompanying product managers on customer site visits.
- Designed embedded system (Windows CE) user interface for label and sign creation software that enabled all user interactions to be possible via a 3-inch x 5-inch touch screen, created Visual Basic prototype, and implemented design using Visual C++ 6.0 and eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0.
- Designed feature enhancements using Visual C++ 6.0 for a MS Windows application used to create and edit labels required for compliance with regulatory standards.
- Reengineered existing processes for managing software requirements, created systems models, and developed project documentation suite.
- Implemented internationalization and localization strategies for products.
Acme, Any City, Any State, 1997 – 1999.
Leading medical device provider in the areas of portable ventilation, oxygen therapy systems, sleep diagnostic and sleep therapy equipment, spirometry and other respiratory care products.
Contract System Design and Development Engineer
- Managed the design and development of a MS Windows-based reporting and data storage system for a client application with a portable ventilator product (MS Project).
- Utilized formalized medical device software development methodologies as well as best practices to demonstrate compliance to external regulatory agencies including the FDA as well as CE Marking.
- Participated in a review for the FDA to demonstrate how every business or marketing requirement tied to a corresponding software requirements document, impacted the resulting design itself, and was accounted for in the test plan.
- Created project documentation suite, designed logical data model and implemented relational database (SQL, ODBC), developed and implemented internationalization strategies (Visual C++, MFC), and developed and executed test scenarios.
Software Applications: Word, Project, Visio, Excel, PowerPoint, Visual Source Safe, Various Incident Tracking and Management Tools, Configuration Management
Software Development: Solid understanding of software development life cycle processes including requirements gathering, analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, contemporary testing methodologies and deployment management. Experience with Joint Application Design/Development (JAD), Rapid Application Development (RAD), software project planning and management including web application development projects, and software development process improvement.
University of Somewhere, Any City, Any State
MS in Software Design and Development
University of Anywhere, Any City, Any State
Ph.D. Candidate in Clinical Psychology
University of Somewhere Else, Any City, Any State
BS in Psychology
Copyright © 2006 Quest Career Services, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of this software development resume sample is prohibited without the consent of Quest Career Services , an outplacement company that provides outplacement services to jobseekers located throughout the world.